Finally, A Dress Form!

On this quietly ominous day that threatened snow storms, I trekked out to Jamaica, Queens on my JMZ subway to Smiley's Yarns, hoping for some serious discount finds.  Moderately successful!  Then I went to Film Biz Recycling in Long Island City, Queens to see what other goodies I could find.  Specifically I had my eye on two new, vintage (oxymoron?) dress forms available. Super successful!

I've been wanting a dress form since day one.  Buy new? Custom? Vintage? Adjustable?  Too many options and too much money!  I stopped looking for a long time, and then 'the find' found me! She matches 95% of my measurements, and $45 sounded like a good deal to me!  Not compared to my $40 1916 Singer Model 15 with sewing cabinet, but in the grand scheme of things, it's totally worth it.  The foundation is in excellent condition, though the metal parts need some WD-40, and I'd like to cover the outer fabric with something nicer and less holey.  Here's my plan:

Step 1: get pops to fix everything
Step 2: enjoy!

Doesn't get better than that!

P.S. Smiley's Yarns is having a mega sale all next week. I plan to check out the offerings, though they mostly have acrylic and wool...not my style.  Hoping to see some cotton, bamboo, silk options.

P.P.S. If you're ever in LIC, specifically by the Citibank Court Square area, go to Jassi's World Famous Deli, which is like any other deli except it has an amazingly priced and tasty Indian buffet - $4.99/lb.  I've been there twice now, and it's fantastic.  Just got generous-sized samosas for $1.25 each.  Heaven!

some needles, cotton, and merino wool blend that didn't feel itchy. each purchase has an intended project. i refuse to be a 'stasher'. you'll have to wait and see what comes of these yarns!

dress form front

dress form back, opened slightly

Comments

  1. did you get that home on the subway?
    step one made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts